YOUR ASPIRING HARRY POTTER WITCH OR WIZARD is in for a magical, fun, and exciting week when they sign up for Hogwarts Camp. After years of our family going to Harry Potter book release parties, reading every volume from cover to cover, and throwing our own fun events, we are ready to create a magical experience for Harry Potter fans, from the novice to the most “Sirius” of fans.
BACK IN 1994, before anyone knew the name Harry Potter, Mike and I were married on an unexpectedly sunshine-filled day a week before Christmas. We didn’t have any idea then that our life would be forever changed by a boy named Harry and a magical parallel reality.
“We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.”
-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire)
We didn’t know that in the years ahead we would stay up too late reading the words of a woman (JK Rowling), still unknown by most of the world, to our young children.We didn’t know we would have four kids or that we would all wait with baited breath for the next book in the series to arrive at the bookstore.
We didn’t know our kids would put on Hogwarts robes, Harry Potter glasses, and carry wands to book release parties that started at midnight, buy our books, and then go to Denny’s for breakfast where we would start reading the book aloud before we could even get home.
We didn’t know we would go to opening night showings of every Harry Potter movie, dressed in our robes, cheering with all of the other fans as soon as the credits opened on the big screen. We didn’t know the world of Hogwarts would open up conversations about love, friendship, bravery, forgiveness, kindness, loyalty, doing the right thing even when it’s hard, standing for underdogs, and even standing up to friends.
Just like that unexpectedly warm and magical December day when we had no idea what was in our future, Harry Potter’s world has brought an unexpected love of reading, kindness, and imagination into our home over the last 20 years.
It is our hope to bring the kind of magic that makes the world a better place into the lives of the students who attend Hogwarts Camp.
“Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open.”
-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
- Hogwarts house: Gryffindor
- Favorite Harry Potter Book: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
- Favorite character: Albus Dumbledore, especially when he faces Voldemort at the Ministry of Magic in The Order of the Pheonix, “It was foolish of you to come here tonight, Tom.”
- Mike has been a teacher of Muggles for over 20 years, teaching students about the best kind of magic and miracle of all, Jesus Christ. He is still a new teacher compared to Professor Binns, who has been teaching History of Magic for the past 100 years!
- He loves being at home with his family and thinks living at The Burrow with the Weasleys would be amazing (except for the ghoul in the attic)!
- Hogwarts House: Gryffindor
- Favorite magical objects: The tents at the Quidditch world cup, Hermione’s bag, and the Marauders’ Map. She loves discovering things and people are more than they appear.
- Favorite magical location: Hogsmeade because that’s where a lot of the good conversation starts and where Dumbledore’s Army is formed.
- Favorite moment: Every time Harry realizes he can do more than he thought he could.
- Davina’s wizarding weapon of choice is not a wand, but a camera
- If it came to it, Davina would go head to head with Bellatrix Lestrange to protect her family.
- Her wisdom and inspiration almost rivals Dumbledore.
- Hogwarts house: Gryffindor
- Patronus: Eagle
- Favorite magical beast: Pheonix
- Favorite quote: “Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.” -Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
- Emmett went on a two year mission to Taiwan teaching people about Jesus and experienced things Gilderoy Lockhart could only dream of writing about.
- Emmett is a sophomore in college studying computer engineering, learning about muggle artifacts that would blow Arthur Weasley’s mind. He is proficient in Mandarin Chinese and plans to use this skill in China to help the people there and to fill his vault in Gringots with loads of galleons.
- Hogwarts House: Slytherin
- Favorite room at Hogwarts: The Room of Requirement because it is so full of potential and mystery.
- Favorite Defense Against the Dark Arts Teacher: Professor Lupin because he is super smart and teaches Harry to face his fears, even when Lupin has a lot to fear himself.
- Miriam loves to drive so fast, she almost flies. Mrs. Weasley would not approve, but Mr. Weasley would be impressed.
- Miriam believes when she is singing (her favorite thing in the whole world), the feeling is comparable to the way Harry feels flying through the air, chasing the snitch, on his broomstick.
- Hogwarts house: Hufflepuff
- Favorite magical beast: Niffler
- Favorite quote from Harry Potter: “And now Harry, let us step into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.” -Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince)
- If Emma went to Hogwarts, she would bring her dog Cocoa instead of a cat, owl, rat, or frog.
- Emma’s memory is so good that an obliviate charm could not taint it.
- Emma loves to laugh; she would be right at home pranking people and saying witty things with Fred & George Weasley.
- Hogwarts House: Ravenclaw
- Favorite moment in the books: When Neville unexpectedly becomes the hero.
- Favorite spell: Expelliarmus
- Grace likes to read almost as much as Hermione.
- Grace is the youngest like Ginny Weasley and has hair that could give Hermione a run for her money.
- Traveling the world by hippogriff would be Grace’s transportation of choice.
- She would love to take up residence in Scotland especially if she could go to school at Hogwarts.
“The Fears are such an amazing family!! Their girls have been watching our boys for years now and they absolutely love it! They always have fun and creative activities for them to do. The Fears have such an artistic imagination. I’m 100% sure the Hogwarts Camp is going to be an awesome experience for all Harry Potter fans! They have done other themed events with great success!”
-Angela, mom of two boys